Our Intent. We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of users to our website and we will only use the information we collect about you lawfully.
Changes to Data Protection Legislation. The introduction of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the UK Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018), has introduced significant and enhanced rights for Data Subjects, including users of these services. This Privacy Notice seeks to outline these rights and also the way personal data that is processed via services on this site, so that Data Subjects have transparency.
Data Subject’s Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice should be read by Data Subjects, i.e. “you,” or any identifiable person using the London Grid for Learning (LGfL) services.
Joint Data Controller. The Ed Tech Demonstrator Programme is is being conducted by London Grid for Learning (LGfL) (joint controller with the Department of Education (DfE). With The Education Foundation (EdF) and Sheffield Hallam University acting as Delivery Partners and Data Processors.
Website Controller. The controller for this website is LGfL. See LGfL’s main website for further details: https://www.lgfl.net/default.aspx.
Data Protection Officer (DPO). LGfL have appointed a DPO who can be reached at email@example.com. The LGfL DPO fulfils a number of roles, one of which is to be the primary and independent point of contact for Data Subjects, namely you. The preferred mechanism for Data Subjects to raise concerns regarding the processing of their personal data by LGfL is to email or send a letter to our contact details above, at which point the enquiry will be forwarded to the DPO. Alternatively write to:
- Data Protection Enquiries, LGfL, 9th Floor, 10 Exchange Square, Primrose Street, London, EC2A 2BR.
Purpose of Processing Personal Data When Visiting This Website. We collect personal data on this website primarily to support the delivery of information to users of this website. When using the Personalisation service on this website, we use your information to provide you with a tailored experience enabling you to save web links as bookmarks, making it easier for you to access your favourite LGfL online education resources.
Lawful Basis of Processing Personal Data When Visiting This Website.
Purpose of LGfL Processing Personal Data with the Ed Tech Demonstrator website and associated services is to help deliver improved education services for participant schools. In this capacity the lawful basis of processing is assessed to be contract, including pre-contract activities with the participating schools. However, the use of discretionary personal data collected by cookies will be based upon Consent.
Across all Ed Tech Programme processes and services, we will seek to ensure all personal data is accurate and up to date. The personal data which we hold will be held securely and in accordance with our internal data protection and security policies.
Category of Recipients of Personal Data. LGfL acts as a Data Processor under the instruction of the Data Controllers, schools (which includes nurseries and colleges for the purposes of this Privacy Notice) and local authorities, to enable them to deliver education services. Data is shared with them in accordance with their requirements.
Transfer of Personal Data Outside the UK or EEA (European Economic Area). No personal data is transferred outside the UK. If this is required, appropriate measures will be put in place to support international transfers.
Sensitive Personal Data. We will never collect sensitive personal data about you without your explicit consent or under the relevant lawful purpose. We will provide a clear explanation why it is required in the related Privacy Notice.
Sale or Passing of Personal Data to Third Parties. We will not sell or pass your personal data to any company. However, to support Safeguarding or Law Enforcement investigation LGfL may be required to pass personal data outside normal processes, for very specific and limited purposes.
Retention of Personal Data by this Website. We will retain any data collected on this website only for the period of the session or on acceptance of cookies to enable you to revisit the site again more easily. For the Personalisation service, your data will be retained for as long as you, or your school, consumes LGfL services or until you withdraw your consent. Retention of Personal Data by LGfL. A master retention policy for personal data processed by LGfL is being constantly developed. This details the retention of personal data collected from you for different purposes.
Data Subject’s Rights. Under data protection legislation you have a number of Rights which we have outlined below:
- Right of Access. You are entitled to access your personal data so that you are aware of and can verify the lawfulness of the processing. This is best achieved through submitting a Subject Access Request (SAR) to the Data Controller. In summary, Data Subject’s (you) have the right to obtain:
- Confirmation that your data is being processed;
- Access to your personal data (a copy); and
- Other supplementary information, which corresponds to the information in this Privacy Notice.
Please note that requesting a specific element of information rather than all data will make the process easier and faster.
- Fees and Timings. This information will be provided without charge; without delay and within one month. If an extension is required you will be informed of this by the Data Controller. If requests are considered manifestly unfounded or excessive, in particular because they are repetitive, Data Controllers may choose to:
- Charge a reasonable fee taking into account the administrative costs of providing the information; or
- Refuse to respond.
- The reasons for this will be formally notified to you and your rights to appeal to the appropriate Supervisory Authority, i.e. UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk will be highlighted.
- Identity Verification. To protect your personal data, LGfL will seek to verify your identity before releasing any information, which will normally be in electronic format.
- Right of Rectification. You are entitled to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete. If any data held about you is inaccurate or incomplete LGfL will respond within one month of your request. In the unlikely event that LGfL does not act on the request for rectification, you will be informed of your rights to complain or seek judicial remedy.
- Right of Erasure. You may request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing. The Right to Erasure does not provide an absolute ‘right to be forgotten.’ However, you do have a right to have personal data erased and to prevent processing in specific circumstances:
- Where the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was originally collected/processed;
- When you withdraw consent (and this is the basis of processing);
- When you object to the processing and there is no overriding legitimate interest for continuing the processing;
- The personal data was unlawfully processed;
- The personal data has to be erased in order to comply with a legal obligation; and
- The personal data is processed in relation to the offer of information society services to a child. However, you should note LGfL provides educational services to Data Controllers which may not be considered information society services, i.e. social media.
- Right to Restrict Processing. When processing is restricted, LGfL are permitted to store the personal data, but not further process it. In this event exactly what is held and why will be explained to you by the Data Controller.
- Right to Data Portability. You may request to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services. This allows you to move, copy or transfer personal data easily from one IT environment to another in a safe and secure way, without hindrance to usability. The Right to Data Portability only applies:
- To personal data you have provided to LGfL;
- Where the processing is based on your consent or for the performance of a contract; and
- When processing is carried out by automated means.
- In these circumstances LGfL, will provide a copy of your data to the Data Controller in CSV format free of charge, without undue delay and within one month. If there is a delay to this, you will be informed by the Data Controller.
- Right to Object. You have the Right to Object to:
- Processing based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority (including profiling);
- Direct marketing (including profiling); and o Processing for purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics.
- Automated Decision Making and Profiling. LGfL do not employ any automated decision-making or conduct profiling of Data Subjects.
This section outlines the type of cookies we apply to our website https://edtech-demonstrator.lgfl.net/ and the services we offer. By using the website, you agree your personal information will be handled as described in this Privacy Notice. The cookies we may use on our website are described as below:
Functional Cookies - These help us to make your experience within our site more personal. For instance, knowing if you have been on the site before so that messages for new visitors are not displayed to you.
• Cookie Banner Cookies: to remember user preferences regarding cookies: _cookiesjsr
Performance Cookies - These help us to track how people are using our site. They help us to know what pages people are being used and how users navigate around the site, we use this information to make informed decision about how we can improve the user experience of our site. The information we get using these cookies is completely anonymous and we will make no attempt to identify you or influence your experience of our site while you are on it.
• Google Analytics Cookies: to track site usage: _gat_gtag_UA_1886441_19, _gid, _ga
Third Party Cookies - These are used only on the basis of Consent. They can be things like Google Analytics and other embedded content.
• Twitter cookies: for the Twitter feeds: twid, auth_token, remember_checked_on, kdt, dnt, personalization_id, guest_id, ads_prefs
• Google Documents and Youtube cookies: for embedded documents from Google Documents and Youtube videos: __Secure-3PSIDCC, SIDCC, __Secure-3PAPISID, HSID, __Secure-3PSID, SID, SSID, SAPISID, APISID, 1P_JAR,, SEARCH_SAMESITE, NID, ANID, CONSENT, COMPASS, OTZ, UULE, S, __Host-GAPS, __Host-3PLSID, __Secure-3PSIDCC, ACCOUNT_CHOOSER, SIDCC, __Secure-3PAPISID, HSID, LSID, SMSV, User_id, LSOLH
• Planet eStream cookies: for embedded videos from Planet eStream (https://www.planetestream.co.uk/): elzids, elpids, elmids, elsids, SESSIONSTART, Auth5, ManualLogin, AutoAuthExternal, userdetails
Withdraw of consent. You can switch off the site’s cookies in your browser's settings, or via the cookie consent banner available the first time you visit the site.
Please note that the cookie consent banner will not switch off functional or performance cookies.
How Do We Use Your Data? We use the data that we collect about you for the following purposes:
- To provide services related to your Account to you, to communicate with you about your use of our website, your Account and/or Services we offer or make available through the website.
- To respond to any enquiries, you submit to us.
- To operate and improve the website.
- To better understand how users access and use our website and their Accounts, both on an aggregated and individualised basis, for the purposes of improving our website.
Third Party Website Links. Our website may contain links to other third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Privacy Notice, but, instead, is governed by the privacy notices of those third-party websites, and LGfL is not responsible for the information practices of such third-party websites.